For a few years now we have been putting in place measures that respect the environment and work towards sustainable development.
A number of initiatives have been developed for the Iris Festival:
- Use of reusable cups (with a deposit) in collaboration with our partner Rekwup
- Use of biodegradable/reusable crockery in the VIP area
- Installing waste sorting facilities
- Waste collection by Bruxelles-Propreté the morning and evening of the event. Regular waste collection during the day: systematic maintenance of Brussels Park by Bruxelles-Propreté
- Reusing tents, tables, chairs, etc.
- Citizens’ Village: several associations and organisms present their daily efforts to improve our lives: engagement of citizens, raising awareness of the environment, volunteering, upcycling and recycling workshops, etc.
Food and drink
- Iris Food Corner: several food trucks offering sustainable products (local, organic and/or seasonal products)
- Distribution of reusable cups (with a deposit)
- Raising exhibitors’ and food trucks’ awareness of food waste, the use of biodegradable crockery and cutlery, etc.
Mobility and accessibility
- The “mobility” page on the website with the various modes of transport to get to and from the event (including where to find Villo! stations)
- Bicycle parking for some 20 bicycles
- Car sharing is encouraged
- Presence of a car sharing partner: Zip Car & Drive Now
- Access for persons with reduced mobility: signs and specific installations for persons with reduced mobility
- A miniature train capable of holding around 100 passengers for visitors wanting to go from the park to the Brussels Parliament (the events’ two centres of activity)
- Limiting/reducing printed communication and increasing digital promotion
- Use of recycled paper labelled as environmentally-friendly
- Production of 10signs listing the security measures, with the intention to reuse them at other events
- Reusable signs and annual tarps recycled by our communications partner
The environmental impact of the Iris Festival is evaluated after each edition with the aim of continuing to reduce it as much as possible.
We encourage all visitors to actively participate and make use of our various efforts to promote sustainability!